Sunday, June 8, 2014

I'm a Pirate



                To start this post off, let it be known that I am openly a completely unrepentant pirate of various media and other digital items. I have probably downloaded thousands of dollars of material for nothing. Of course, I won’t go into specifics here of exactly what, when, and how, but I will give my reasoning and views on the issues (or non-issues) of online piracy.

                At the core of the issue, I won’t deny that I know that I am downloading products that normally would be retail items with measurable value. In many cases I can’t say much more than I simply don’t care. Even so, there are limits on what I will or will not pirate.

Video games, as an example, are a form of media that I generally have a specific set of standards that I adhere to. I will not pirate any “current generation” games or indie games. Basically, anything that is being actively marketed and sold, or anything that is being marketed by a small independent company. If it is a game that I would be unable to obtain without getting it used or from an independent reseller, than I generally will not hesitate to obtain it illegally. It applies mostly to older games, such as Super Nintendo, Playstation, and now Playstation 2 and Gamecube are beginning to fall into that category.

I generally don’t have any self-enforced restrictions on movies and TV shows. I generally do not watch movies often, so I don’t think I have ever bothered to pirate one, as I am generally fine waiting for them to come to Netflix. As for TV, I will always download whatever I haven’t seen and cannot see elsewhere online by legal means. I will use a legal method of watching a show if it is available. Such as the South Park and Adult Swim websites, which post some, if not almost all of their content openly. They are always shows that I likely could have seen on television normally, but I would rather watch them when I want to. In my view, if I have access to a paid satellite TV subscription, then it is content that is already paid for and I may not have been able to access otherwise due to time constraints.

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment